Friday, December 4, 2009

Cool idea inspired by Christina's paper!



While Christina was reading her paper in class on Thursday I thought of a great project that I would really be intrigued to see if anyone could do the research and do it. I recall the mention she made of Nabokov as artist. I loved this statement and instantly thought about Nabokov writing his words like an artist paints with colors. Then it struck me. Nabokov had synesthesia-- the mixing of the senses. For him, he literally was painting colors with words. I coupled this realization with a recently discovered this page about synesthesia. It would be fascinating to get a collection of various people with synesthesia and have each one "color" the book according to the way they see it, much like the artists creating new book covers for Nabokov. Even more wonderful would be to research Nabokov's individual legend for the coloring of words (I have no idea if this is possible) and color the text of a book, or even a page, with an attempted reproduction of the way that Nabokov himself would have seen it! Perhaps this is the task for Christina, art major as she is, to take on and offer a fresh and new perspective about how to consider Nabokov an artist! I have no idea if this is possible, but if it is, it would be a damn cool project for someone to undertake and complete!

1 comment:

  1. Love this and wish I was an artist...definitely could be a fun project.

    ReplyDelete