Sunday, September 27, 2009

Possible Paper Topics

For the short-paper I have two ideas in mind. Each option presents an interesting possibility for discovery and exegesis of Nabokov's work.

Option #1: In "Lolita" Nabokov uses a plethora of literary allusions, many of which are to fairy tales and children's texts. More specifically he makes a couple of references to "Alice and Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll aka. Charles Dodgson. I would be interested in doing some research and composing a short study of how the "Alice in Wonderland" helped influence some aspects of Lolita.


Option #2: For this option I was considering doing a study of the "games" of Nabokov's works. Undeniably the avid chess player/author used chess strategies and moves to influence the ways in which he composed his novels. For this option I would also be interested in pursuing "Game Theory" which, I believe, is concerned with examining texts and such through the lens of games and how life can be understood as game-play. *Note: I am perhaps thinking that this study might be better for the longer term-paper for the end of the class.



I think that both of these options would provide an interesting focus for greater understanding Nabokov's works and making my own discoveries that would help illuminate further reflections on his texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment