Sunday, September 27, 2009

Picture Caption



This photograph, of my father, mother, and me, (appearing in that order) was taken on the set of a local production of the Tony award winning "Pump Boys and Dinettes" at the WYO theater in Sheridan, Wyoming. My mother, a former High School Choir teacher (and avid lover of music and performance), appeared in the musical as either Prudie Cupp or Rhetta Cupp, I forget now, one of the two sisters who owned the charming and quaint Double Cupp Cafe in which the musical is set. The musical, which premiered on Broadway at the Princess Theater on February 4, 1982, showcases slices of Americana through country/rock/pop songs and the story of four gas station workers and the two Cupp sisters. Presumably the play is not set in contemporary times according the the $2.50 hamburger and $.50 slice of pie listed on the Double Cupp Diner Menu in the upper left of the photograph. My father (wearing an entertainingly western buckskin jacket and belt buckle with a big horn ram with the words *National Forest*) and I hold two empty white ceramic cups, fooling the viewer of the photograph to thinking we are customers at this diner while my mother presents a pecan pie. I believe this photograph was taken in mid-late October of 2006 as I had recently purchased my green hat and jacket in Bozeman, Montana, the town in which I was attending my freshman year of University. I had traveled back to Sheridan, a modest four hour drive in my Subaru Forester, to watch my mother perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment